NRNA NCC of USA YOUTH LEADERSHIP SCHOLARSHIP AWARD
Scholarship Committee 2019
- Swaraj Khati ( Program Founder & Chair / National Youth Coordinator )
- Nilima Bade Shrestha ( TX )
- Sulav Paudel (PA)
- Prakash Basnet ( NC )
- Suman Karki ( TX )
- Dr. Niroj Basnet
- Kushal Pokhrel
- Dr. Suman Satyal
- Dr. Siroj Pokhrel
This award has been established with an intention to equip young leaders with tools and vision that will encourage transformative leadership and active community engagement. $1000 will be awarded to 4 individual recipients from 4 regions of USA during the academic year (non - renewable) as a support towards attaining their academic goal.
A youth Diaspora role for Nation Building has been highlighted in the 14th point declaration of the 8th NRN Global Conference and IGA held in Kathmandu, Nepal on Oct 2017. Leaders of the Nepali Diaspora have been advocating for skills, technologies, and knowledge acquired by youths from abroad and suggest these competencies should be transferred and be utilized for the development of Nepal. According to the report published by the Institute of International Education, around 10,000 (both undergraduate and graduate) Nepali students with F1 immigrant legal status, have arrived in the USA every year, for the past 10 years.Similarly, the number of Nepali immigrants who are Permanent Residents, and who are second generation Nepali Americans attending universities, has increased significantly. There are more than 50 Nepali Students Association in various universities across the US that represents Nepal and promote Nepali culture and its diversity among the community. Active Nepali student leaders who are engaged in such leadership platform have a difficult time balancing their college education, jobs, and social activities. Under these circumstances, the chances of developing leadership skills and purpose of getting a college education are highly limited. That's why it is our major focus to provide them the tools and platforms for their growth in that way we inspire them for active social service and leadership roles when they graduate from their colleges and universities.This project encourages student leadership and provides them support to attain their academic goals.
“Art of communication is the language of the leadership” - James Humes.
As we embark upon this project, our guiding principle is that a program like this will provide an opportunity for NRNA to develop relationships with student communities across universities in the United States. Once we hold the grip, we coach them more about NRNA movement that way when they meet the eligibility criteria later, they are well-prepared to lead the community then. Moreover, the social, technical and intellectual expertise they hold can be utilized for the welfare of the organization, our diaspora, and Nepal.We strive to equip young student leaders with the tools and insights that will encourage transformative leadership and active community engagement.
The Youth Leadership Scholarship will be awarded to college and university students of Nepali origin who exhibits outstanding leadership abilities through community service. This award is a $1000 cash award which is non-renewable for 4 individual recipients from 4 regions of USA during the academic year.
To be eligible for this scholarship award, students must meet all of the eligibility requirements listed below:
- 1. Must be a legal resident - U.S. citizen, permanent resident, TPS or F1 student to meet the criteria.
- 2. Must be enrolled as a full-time student in a community college or 4-year college/university in USA.
- 3. Must have cumulative GPA of 3.25 or above.
- 4. Must have completed at least 30 credit hours towards his/her college degree.
Among others, we will primarily use the following criterion's to select the recipients:
- Leadership: This criteria includes, but is not limited to - represented Nepal within the college community to promote Nepali culture, engaged in community organizations, Nepali student organization or university/college organizations that work towards positively influencing others to give back to the communities.
- Academic ability and achievements: Priority will be given to those who have strong academic records and to those who have academic awards and honors.
Information and materials needed to apply:
Following documents are mandatory in addition to any other documents that the applicant deems necessary.
- 1. Completed and signed application form.
- 2. One major Leadership recommendation from organizations or clubs the applicant is associated with.
- 3. Major Leadership accomplishments - List at least 2 major activities the applicant has either organized or participated in. Indicate any special recognitions received for volunteering or leadership. ( if have any)
- 4. Copy of most recent unofficial transcript
- 5. Statement of Motivation.Connect your current academic & leadership journey to the goal of NRNA scholarship program.
- 6. Application will be graded and final decision will be made by the Selection Committee in coordination with Scholarship Committee based on academic standing,leadership accomplishment,recommendations, and personal statements.Applicants will be reviewed solely on information contained on the online form. Applications may not be revised after they are submitted. Applicants will receive a confirmation email once the application is successfully submitted.
- 7. In case of discrepancies,final decision will be made by the Scholarship Committee.
- List information beginning with the most recent date first.**
- Application Opens: April 1, 2019.
- Application must be submitted by 11:59 PM EST May 15, 2019.
- For further questions, please contact NRNA Scholarship Committee.
- Email : email@example.com | Phone : 469-987-0909
- The winner will be announced in July 15, 2019
We heartliy thank Dexpert Inc, a Dallas based IT Solution and Staffing Service Company for partnering with our mission.Your generous support has strengthen our program goal for this year. Your donation will support students to attain their educational goals and inspire them to give back to the community.
2018 NRNA-NCC-USA Youth Leadership Scholarship Recipients
Shistata, a junior and an Electrical Engineering honors student at the Fairleigh Dickinson University (FDU), has been highly rated and was awarded as the outstanding student leader by FDU and has received 'The Future World Leader' award. She has served at FDU as a Secretary at International Student Association, Senate leader and VP of Multicultural council. During her tenure, she has successfully hosted numerous cultural programs representing Nepal as well as international students. She is currently serving student community as a Vice-President of Student Government Association (SGA) that oversees 60+ organizations. Shistata has developed cohesive partnership with various university bodies and serves as a bridge between students and the administration. We envision her as an influential person.
Ganesh, a Business junior at Idaho State University (ISU), has successfully displayed an extraordinary leadership through collaboration and interpersonal characters via both oncampus and offcampus involvement. As a se-nator for Associated Students of Idaho State University, Ganesh is committed to serving student interest along with achieving personal growth. His vibrancy at work, academics, and extracurricular activities has impressed everyone he has worked with and has inspired others by leading with examples. He has represented Nepal and Idaho State University in Winter Youth Assembly at United Nation Headquarter, New York held on February 2018 and exchanged leadership experiences with hundreds of youth leaders from all over the world. He is a true ambassador for Nepalese Students in the university.
Pujan, a Computer and Information Science senior at the University of Louisiana Monroe (ULM), has been representing Nepalese and international students. He is an active member of Nepalese Students Association (NSA) and has served as it's Secretary in 2017. He has represented Nepalese students in mainstream platforms through his involvement as a senator of SGA, 31 Ambassadors (Alumni Association), International Students Association, the Hawkeye (College Newspaper), Title IX, and General Education Committee. Pujan was recently elected as the treasurer of the Campus Activities Board for upcoming academic year. His contri-butions to the school has been recognized by the Distinguished Warhawk Award, Charles Mc Donald Campus Involvement Award, ULM Mentee of the year award, and the Student Involvement Scholarship award. Pujan is a great liaison for the Nepalese students to the mains-tream student community.
Ashim, a Mechanical Engineering student at the Minnesota State University, Mankato (MNSU), is a dedicated, organized and methodical individual. Over the years, he has been involved in several lea-dership roles in organizations that include Nepalese Student Association (NSA), Leadership Union, and the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME). He was recently recognized by International Center at MNSU for his hard work and exemplary community involvement on campus with prestigious International endowment Scholarship award. Ashim inspires his fellow Nepalese friends to stand for their roots and educate American community about Nepal and its culture.